Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Backyard Foxes

Last spring, two baby female foxes (I've seen between their legs) began traversing through my yard every evening, with their mother.  At first they stayed far from the house, but with a little prompting, ie., two hard-boiled eggs placed ever nearer, they are now right up to the house.   I've fed them each an egg every night since spring.  The photo is of one of them eating some stale bread I put out for the birds.

A couple of times - once when I was in New York City and again when in I was in D.C. - I had to get the D.H. to feed them.  He asked if the eggs needed to be peeled first.

"As if that's how they are when they rob the hen house!" he said.  "Hard boiled and peeled!  I suppose you'll set up a heated tent for them when the snows come."

Hey, nothing's too good for my little foxies.

Lately they are maturing and no longer eat together.  Nature dictates that now, they will compete for food, rather than share it.  However, grown up female siblings will share in child care of their baby foxlets.  Isn't that cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment